In case you hadn’t noticed, it’s avocado season in Hanoi at the moment. The tree in the backyard of the Eastern & Oriental is laden with enormous, shiny green fruit. Here’s our favorite avocado recipe – it’s guaranteed to produce rich chocolate brownies that are moist & fudgey on the inside, and it’s both dairy-free & gluten-free.
Keto Avocado Brownies
2 large eggs
1 medium, ripe avocado (3/4 cup)
1/4 cup coconut oil
3–4 tbsp unsweetened, unsalted almond butter, cashew butter (or sunflower seed butter for nut-free)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar substitute
1/3 cup cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons gelatin (optional, makes them chewy)
1/2 cup chopped up chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Line a small baking dish with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your food processor combine all of the ingredients.
- Blend on medium, low power until just smooth. Don’t over-mix. Use a spatula to scrape down the batter and then fold it together, mashing up any chucks of avocado left.
- Use the spatula to transfer the batter to the baking dish and smooth it out evenly.
- Top with chocolate chips
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the edges begin to separate from the sides.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before handling.
- Pick it up, carefully, by the parchment paper and set it on a cutting board.
- Cut into 8 squares! Enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.